- This hackathon is free of charge!
- Just register and come down for the event at Cinnamon-Tembusu Dining Hall!
- Yes! You will be getting free food1 and free swag2!
- Build whatever you want! You can even choose to build something absolutely useless, just for fun!
- Build something new. You may reuse code for specific components, but recycling an entire project is not okay.
- Projects will be judged on awesomeness. Decisions made by the judges are final.
- Hardware projects are welcome! We will also be having a booth that allows you to borrow some commonly used hardware for your projects.
- The event rules can be accessed here.
This hackathon is open to:
- Students who are studying in any Singapore educational institution, anywhere from primary school to graduate studies
- Anyone awaiting entry into an educational institution (including NSFs and PhD candidates)
Students studying in overseas institutions are welcome, but we cannot provide assistance (i.e. visa, accommodation) in getting to Singapore.
- Teams can have between 1 and 4 members.
- You can form teams only after your individual registration is accepted.
- You can form teams with your friends3 or form teams with other accepted participants.
- You are encouraged to stay for the whole duration of the event, to join the hype, network with fellow participants, and participate in fringe events as well as the midnight surprise! We recommend bringing sleeping bags.
Please abide by the the NUS Hackers Event Code of Conduct.
1 We cater lunch and dinner along with snacks and drinks throughout the day!
2 Yes, we have swag for you! Swag will be given during the event and during engagement sessions.
3 We cannot guarantee that you will be able to team with ALL your friends as registrations are assessed on an individual basis, so do remind your friends to fill up their registration form thoughtfully.
Every member of the winning team will each receive one of the listed prizes. Prizes will be delivered to the winners after the end of the hackathon.
Top 8 Teams
Apple AirPods Pro 2
Click on the prize category to look at the winning project.
1 Teams fully made up of freshmen (first year-of-study in university) will be considered for this award
2 Teams fully made up of pre-university members (e.g. Primary/Secondary/JC/NSFs) will be considered for this award
3 Teams fully made up of first-time hackathon participants will be considered for this award
? I've submitted the registration form. What's the next step?
Your registration will be reviewed by a member of our team soon. As Hack&Roll receives many applications every year, we are unfortunately unable to accept all sign-ups. We will review all applications and notify you by email of the outcome of your registration.
? After registering, where do I indicate my team and teammates?
After your acceptance is confirmed, you may form teams on this website.
? What happens if I have already formed a team, but some of my teammates do not get accepted into Hack&Roll with me?
Unfortunately, we may not accept all members of your intended team. In that case, we hope you will still attend the event with other teammates.
? I am registering alone / do not have a full team. How do I look for teammates?
After your acceptance is confirmed, you will be added to the Hack&Roll 2023 Discord server, where you can meet other participants and form teams before the event. If necessary, we will also help you to find teammates.
? I am an international participant. Can I participate in Hack&Roll 2023?
Yes, you can! However, we do not provide assistance (e.g. visa, accommodation) in getting to Singapore.
? I am a participant who has certain ailments or disabilities that will require certain additional accomodations or arrangements. Can I still join the hackathon?
Of course! Please do indicate in the registration form that you will require additional accomodations, and a member of our team will reach out to you, to discuss with you on how we can ensure your needs are well taken care of.
Still have other questions? Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
None of this would have been possible without our benevolent sponsors who believe in working with us to spread the hacker culture in Singapore!
Hack&Roll 2022 saw around 700 signups and over 200 projects. Prizes included AirPods Pros, Fitbits, and Chromecasts. Winning projects included a remotely controlled robotic arm, a 3D visualizer for running paths, and an app that simulates mechanical keyboard sounds. Check out the projects!
Hack&Roll 2021 saw close to 600 signups and around 171 projects. Prizes included monitors, Fitbits, Kindles and Google Nest Minis. Winning projects included a Pringles can that could produce music, a live screen translator, and a gamified CSS learning platform. Check out the projects!
Hack&Roll 2020 saw close to 600 signups and around 140 projects. Prizes included monitors, speakers, Kindles and Google Home Minis. Winning projects included a music game powered by bunny ears and an alarm app that forces you to walk; check out the projects!
Hack&Roll 2019 saw close to 550 signups and around 134 projects. Prizes included 3D printers, ASUS Chromebit CS10 Sticks, and Google Home Minis. Winning projects included Tetris in NUSMods, a bot that draws doodles, and a visual novel game; check out the projects!